Re: What do we translate? How/When?

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Subject: Re: What do we translate? How/When?
Date: 2004-01-17 22:45:14
Lists: pgsql-www
Steve Simms wrote:
> How does translation currently happen for the PostgreSQL sites?
>
> How do we want it to happen, if different?

For the most part, it doesn't happen at all.  The advocacy site appears
to store the strings in a database and has a web interface to edit
them, but I'm just reading that now from a quick glance at the source
code.  Just the other day there was a discussion about "how do we want
it to happen".  Start here

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-www/2004-01/msg00062.php

to catch up.  But the issue is unresolved.

> Do we translate everything on every site, everything on some sites,
> or certain things on certain sites?  For example, do we translate
> news items? Contributed techdoc articles?

In principle, we would like to translate everything.  But the
prioritzation will have to be left to those who want to do the
translation work.  However, most people are currently focussing on
creating a new infrastructure for the www. and the advocacy. sites, so
you will most likely see the earliest results there.

> Do we translate things before they're published in their original
> language, or afterwards?  Does this depend on the type of article?
>
> Do we have a concept of primary and secondary translations?  If not,
> should we?  For example, do we have some translations that are always
> done, and others that get done as people have time?

Well, we are not a commercial operation with employees on schedules.
Work happens when people have time.  Except on extraordinary occasions
(such as releases, when the press releases should be ready at about the
same time), translation teams will revise and update translations
whenever they feel like it.