Re: And now for an example of a different style of

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: And now for an example of a different style of
Date: 2004-01-17 00:33:13
Lists: pgsql-www
On Friday 16 January 2004 18:00, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Jan 2004, Robert Treat wrote:
> > <sigh> do we have to go over this again... different users have
> > different monitor sizes. People with big monitors want to be able to
> > resize their browsers to view multiple windows simultaneously. You can't
> > assume that everyone's window width is 800 pixels: it's too much for
> > some users and too little for others. It's not that difficult to make a
> > stretchy site that looks good at multiple widths, I think php.net is a
> > classic example of this (though debian, kde, mozilla, ximian are also
> > good examples).
>
> just looked at php.net, and you are correct, seems to resize nicely ...

mmm... sorry for the tone, guess it was a long week... just that in my former
life I used to be the "user experience adviser" for the IT department of a
fairly good-sized corporation I often went round and round over things like
this with the developers, things that most of "us usability types" consider
basic maxims.  Probably why I now work on the database side; everyone
*thinks* they can do design, but people rarely look at a website and think
"they should have used 3 tables and a view to handle that data" :-)

Robert Treat