Protect pg_xlog ?

From: Chris Gamache <cgg007(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Protect pg_xlog ?
Date: 2004-01-16 13:34:17
Lists: pgsql-admin
I have one RAID 1+0 array available. My primary concern is data integrity.

The general instruction is to put pg_xlog on another filesystem, seperated
physically from the database files, for maximum performance. That is what I had
planned on doing. However, it dawned on me that there could be a serious
problem if the pg_xlog got corrupted or was lost in a hardware failure. It
might not matter one bit that the actual data files are safe and sound if the
transaction log is corrupted.

Is protecting pg_xlog as important as protecting the rest of the data files?

Will the performance hit, which happens when one keeps pg_xlog on the same
filesystem as the database, be substantial enough to warrant spending more
money on another array of drives to use for pg_xlog?

CG