Re:

From: Aarni Ruuhimäki <aarni(dot)ruuhimaki(at)kymi(dot)com>
To: Lduren02(at)aol(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re:
Date: 2004-01-15 15:32:19
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi Lee,

On Thursday 15 January 2004 00:53, you wrote:
> Hello
>
> I have the program working now. I log in to the system as root, then do the
> command: "su - postgres", and it starts.

You mean the server actually starts with the command 'su -postgres' ? Weird.
Start command should be something like this (as postgres):
/usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster -D /usr/share/pgdata &

With '&' you don't have to open another terminal, just press enter and your at
prompt again.

Then I open up another terminal
> window, and issue the command "su - postgres". I get an error message from
> the line in the code that executes the postmaster command, saying the
> postmaster.pid already exista, and is another postmaster pid running?
> However I am able to execute some commands successfully.

So maybe RHEL3 really starts the server with that. The error comes because you
already have started it. Anyway, you can ignore the message, I believe it
won't do anything as it is already running.

> I can create a new user from the second terminal window that has a second
> postgres session logged in. However when I issue the command "su -
> databaseuser" it says that there is no user by that name. I try "su
> database user" with the same results, whether trying this command from
> postgres user or from root prompt in second terminal window.

As postgres you are creating a database user, not a system user ? So you can
not su databaseuser, ie. become that user on the system itself (su is for
substitute user). This user could however connect to a db via php or some
other interface. If given rights to do so in pg_hba.conf.

RHEL 3 obviously is not same as RH 9. Anyway, I hope this helps.

And for later on, you might find this helpful (the bit about upgrading PgSQL):

http://doc.trustix.org/cgi-bin/trustixdoc.cgi?PostgreSQL

BR,

Aarni

> Lee

Aarni Ruuhimäki | Megative Tmi | KYMI.com