Re: Requirements for updated site

From: Jeroen Ruigrok/asmodai <asmodai(at)wxs(dot)nl>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: Alexey Borzov <borz_off(at)cs(dot)msu(dot)su>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Requirements for updated site
Date: 2004-01-15 12:37:18
Lists: pgsql-www

-On [20040115 13:22], Dave Page (dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk) wrote:
>Not really because what you have written makes little sense to me. Why
>can't you convert translated HTML to other formats? What does it matter
>to the web project anyway?

It can be used, it isn't the best format to describe things in. E.g.
Japanese has no concept of bold or italic that I am aware of. They use
katakana for this within their kanji.
Something like DocBook has been designed to handle the fact of
<warning>blah</warning> in whatever language to be translated through
stylesheets into whatever is appropriate for a particular language.
Never mind me on this topic though, I am just pedantic on this, since I
meddle too much with l10n/i18n and technical writing. :)

>> Well, as you are probably the designer of the thing, I only
>> have to agree. This is *absolutely* fabulous design, the best
>> I've ever seen. I sincerely hope that MySQL AB will hire you
>> to redesign their site as well, so that the projects will be
>> able to compete on even grounds!

Please put the sarcasm aside, it never helps a clear communication.

>Again, you're not listening. Yes, I coded the original portal, however
>the design was the collaborative work of a group of people, including
>members of -core. What can possibly make you imagine that you can come
>in here, tell us that the work and designs agreed by a number of people
>is crap and expect us to rewrite everything your way without discussion?

Well, Marc has said often enough he can't do webdesign worth a jack. ;)
But seriously, is everybody on this list a webdesigner?
I know I am not a professional one, I just dabble and try to be very
pedantic about designs which place user interaction on the first place.
If you can then make things aesthetically nice it is a very good thing.

>Now don't get me wrong, the current design is not perfect, but it was
>agreed by concensus. We are open to suggestions in the correct forum
>(here or webmaster(at)postgresql(dot)org) and have implemented numerous in the
>past, however as stated though, we already have a basic plan in place,
>and whatever suggestions we take on will have to fit in with that.

I sincerely hope that you will do away with the menus on both side of
the center, continuously scrolling up and down is generally disliked by
users.

What doesn't help, but IIRC that's being remedied, is that a lot of
links which fall under postgresql.org have different designs. This is
highly annoying from a user perspective.

Now that I finally have some more time on my hands I can finally start
to put results where my mouth is. :)

PGP fingerprint: 2D92 980E 45FE 2C28 9DB7 9D88 97E6 839B 2EAC 625B
http://www.tendra.org/ | http://diary.in-nomine.org/
Don't try to find the Answer where there ain't no Question here...