SQL_ASCII / LATIN1

From: Aarni Ruuhimäki <aarni(dot)ruuhimaki(at)kymi(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: SQL_ASCII / LATIN1
Date: 2004-01-14 14:19:14
Lists: pgsql-novice
Hi folks,

Bit of a situation here:

I have my own local and remote systems (7.3.3 says pg_config.h) initdb-ed with
-E LATIN1

#/usr/local/pgsql/bin/createdb test

gives

bash-2.05a$ psql -l
               List of databases
          Name           |  Owner   | Encoding
-------------------------+----------+----------
test                | postgres | LATIN1
template0               | postgres | LATIN1
template1               | postgres | LATIN1

#/usr/local/pgsql/bin/createdb test -E SQL_ASCII

gives

bash-2.05a$ psql -l
               List of databases
          Name           |  Owner   | Encoding
-------------------------+----------+----------
test                | postgres | SQL_ASCII
template0               | postgres | LATIN1
template1               | postgres | LATIN1

This is ok, I suppose.

On another remote machine, the system is also 7.3.3, I see:

sh-2.05a$ psql -l
            List of databases
       Name       |  Owner   | Encoding
------------------+----------+-----------
trouble       | postgres | SQL_ASCII
 ok1          | postgres | LATIN1
 ok2		 | postgres | LATIN1
 ok3	    	 | postgres | LATIN1
 template0        | postgres | SQL_ASCII
 template1        | postgres | SQL_ASCII

When I pg_dump -c trouble > trouble_dump, take the file down and
cat trouble_dump | psql trouble it shows as LATIN1 in the local listing. Then
I dump it again locally, upload and cat, it shows as SQL_ASCII.

Not sure if someone has re-inited the troublesome system at some point,
because it used to be ok. Can I see when and how somewhere ? The templates 0
and 1 are causing this ? I tried also dropping the db then create it with -E
LATIN1, but after cat from dump it still shows as SQL_ASCII.

Is there any other way to fix this than (upgrade and) re-init the whole system
?

Any advice is welcome. Thank you very muchos.

BR,

Aarni

Aarni Ruuhimäki | Megative Tmi | KYMI.com

pgsql-novice by date

Next:From: glennDate: 2004-01-14 14:47:25