Re: Translations in the distributions

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Dennis Björklund <db(at)zigo(dot)dhs(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Translations in the distributions
Date: 2004-01-09 08:25:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Am Freitag, 9. Januar 2004 08:08 schrieb Dennis Björklund:
> The default installation in fedora does not work very well for non
> english people. For example. if I run psql and type COMMIT i get:
>
> dennis=# commit;
> WARNING: COMMIT: ingen transaktion p g
>
> while it should say
>
> dennis=# commit;
> WARNING: COMMIT: ingen transaktion pågår

Remember that gettext will automatically recode the strings depending on what
it thinks is the display character set, determined via LC_CTYPE (of course, a
useless concept for server software). After that, PostgreSQL's own client/
server recoding will happen. So somewhere along the line there something
might get lost. Either the RPM package uses a different locale, or it has
bugs in gettext or iconv.