Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql-server/ oc/src/sgml/catalogs.sgml rc/bac ...

From: Bruno Wolff III <bruno(at)wolff(dot)to>
To: Dennis Björklund <db(at)zigo(dot)dhs(dot)org>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql-server/ oc/src/sgml/catalogs.sgml rc/bac ...
Date: 2004-01-07 17:27:55
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 06:58:37 +0100,
Dennis Björklund <db(at)zigo(dot)dhs(dot)org> wrote:

> ps I've just changed my email name to my real name which is Dennis
> Björklund. I did that 5 years ago (still using pine) and got angry mails
> back saying that my mails where broken. I hope the todays email programs
> can handle non-ascii names better...

It still isn't legal to use non US ASCII characters in headers. There
is an encoding scheme that can be used for the subject header. There
isn't such a system for the from header. While most mail programs
won't crash when encoutering non ASCII, not everyone is going to see
your name properly. People who are using Latin1 for display will probably
see things correctly, but people using other extensions of US ASCII
might see such things as graphics sysmbols rather than an o with an
umlat.