Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql-server/doc/src/sgml Tag: REL7_4_STABLE r ...

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql-server/doc/src/sgml Tag: REL7_4_STABLE r ...
Date: 2004-01-04 18:17:59
Lists: pgsql-committerspgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> (It might be good if we had a more standardized way of generating
> HISTORY though.  I tried a couple different versions of lynx and
> got a couple different outputs, none perfectly matching whatever
> version Bruce is using ...)

There lies the problem.  Making these text files is still guesswork
and/or manual polishing, because the tools always change and no one
tool works well on at least HISTORY and INSTALL at the same time.  The
HISTORY generatation has a makefile rule that appears to work well for
Bruce, but I actually wrote it to work on my machine, but now I get the
same problem that you state.  For INSTALL, lynx gives terrible results,
and for the past few releases I've been using a tool named html2txt,
but that still requires manual cleanup.  In short, automatic generation
of text files that works every time is still an open problem.