Network Problems over past 48hrs

From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: pgsql-announce(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Network Problems over past 48hrs
Date: 2004-01-03 23:30:16
Lists: pgsql-announce pgsql-general

G'evening ...

As everyone will have noticed, we've been having network problems over
the past 48hrs, culminating in a total blackout today.

Starting around 1am on the 2nd of January, our IPs appear to have become
an innocent bystander in a DoS attack from various hacked machines on
Pac-West Telecomm, GTE.net, and several other networks.

Early this morning, due to the continual disruption of traffic, it seems
that our "last mile provider" took it upon themselves to disable the
complete IP block (including 200.46.204.*) for several hours (packet loss
was up above 30% at that time) ...

This afternoon, working with *our* provider, we were able to get
200.46.204.* back up again, with what looks to be back to normal traffic
(0% packet loss) ... we're still monitoring the connection, in case
something creeps up again, but from what we can tell, based on information
provided by GlobalCrossing, our packet loss was spill-over from the actual
IP block that was getting attacked, and not from any direct attack on us

Things *appear* to be back to normal now, but we will be monitoring the
servers (and traffic) in case its just a lull :(

In the future, if something like this happens, the best place to turn
for more immediate information is the #PostgreSQL channel on
irc.freenode.net, where several of us are sitting ...

----