Re: Question about Indexes...

From: Aarni Ruuhimäki <aarni(dot)ruuhimaki(at)kymi(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Question about Indexes...
Date: 2004-01-03 10:42:39
Lists: pgsql-novice
Hi,

You can also use a SEQUENCE which is unique and will add a PK constraint to
your field.

Not sure about the date thing because with sequence you would already have a
PK for that row ? A bit confused too ...

e.g.:

CREATE SEQUENCE main_cats_main_cat_id_seq
    START 1
    INCREMENT 1
    MAXVALUE 9223372036854775807
    MINVALUE 1
    CACHE 1;

CREATE TABLE main_cats (
    main_cat_id integer DEFAULT nextval('"main_cats_main_cat_id_seq"'::text)
NOT NULL,
    lang_id integer NOT NULL,
    main_cat_name text NOT NULL,
    mc_order_nro smallint,
    main_cat_show boolean NOT NULL,
    sub_cats boolean NOT NULL,
    last_mod timestamp without time zone
);

BR,

Aarni

On Saturday 03 January 2004 10:27, you wrote:
> If I create a table and assign the column type for what will be the primary
> key the value of "Serial", do I need to explicitly create an index in
> addition?
>
> I was thinking that a Serial, would automatically be a Unique Index
> wouldn't it? I also set that field to the primary key... does that ensure
> an index is created?
>
> Just a little confused...
>
> Also, while I am on the topic, does it do any good to create indexes on a
> timestamp field?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Alan

Aarni Ruuhimäki | Megative Tmi | KYMI.com
This is a bugfree broadcast to you from a linux system.