Re: website doc search is extremely SLOW

From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Dave Cramer <pg(at)fastcrypt(dot)com>
Cc: johnsw(at)wardbrook(dot)com, Ericson Smith <eric(at)did-it(dot)com>, "D(dot) Dante Lorenso" <dante(at)lorenso(dot)com>, webmaster(at)postgresql(dot)org, "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: website doc search is extremely SLOW
Date: 2003-12-31 22:20:08
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, 31 Dec 2003, Dave Cramer wrote:

> Well it appears there are quite a few solutions to use so the next
> question should be what are we trying to accomplish here?
>
> One thing that I think is that the documentation search should be
> limited to the documentation.
>
> Who is in a position to make the decision of which solution to use?

I'm the one that is going to end up implementing whatever we go with ...

If we pull out the mailing list archives from the database, I can't
imagine mnogosearch being powerful enough to do it, as there really aren't
that many pages ... its the archives that kill the process ... so maybe
we'll just go with that as a first step, make 'site search' seperate from
'archives' search ... DaveP? Sound reasonable to try first?

----