Re: website doc search is extremely SLOW

From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Dave Cramer <pg(at)fastcrypt(dot)com>
Cc: "D(dot) Dante Lorenso" <dante(at)lorenso(dot)com>, "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: website doc search is extremely SLOW
Date: 2003-12-31 05:04:20
Lists: pgsql-general

does anyone know anything better then mnogosearch, that works with
PostgreSQL, for doing indexing? the database server is a Dual Xeon 2.4G,
4G of RAM, and a load avg right now of a lowly 1.5 ... the file system is
3x72G drive in a RAID5 configuration, and the database server is 7.4 ...
the mnogosearch folk use mysql for their development, so its possible
there is something they are doing that is slowing this process down, to
compensate for a fault in mysql, but this is ridiculous ...

note that I have it setup with what the mnogosearch folk lists as being
'the fastest schema for large indexes' or 'crc-multi' ...

right now, we're running only 373k docs:

isvr5# indexer -S

Database statistics

Status Expired Total
-----------------------------
415 0 311 Unsupported Media Type
302 0 1171 Moved Temporarily
502 0 43 Bad Gateway
414 0 3 Request-URI Too Long
301 0 307 Moved Permanently
404 0 1960 Not found
410 0 1 Gone
401 0 51 Unauthorized
304 0 16591 Not Modified
200 0 373015 OK
504 0 48 Gateway Timeout
400 0 3 Bad Request
0 2 47 Not indexed yet
Total 2 393551

and a vacuum analyze runs nightly ...

anyone with suggestions/ideas? has to be something client/server, like
mnogosearch, as we're dealing with multiple servers searching against the
same database ... so I don't *think* that ht/Dig is a solution, but may be
wrong there ...

----