PostgreSQL Weekly News - December 29th 2003

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: pgsql-announce(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: PostgreSQL Weekly News - December 29th 2003
Date: 2003-12-29 21:07:09
Lists: pgsql-announce
== PostgreSQL Weekly News - December 29th 2003 ==

	Well, last week saw the release of 7.4.1, which should bring us to a cooling
period for a bit, especially with the holidays on-going.  There are a fair
number of patches "in the queue" so we will probably see some good activity
after the start of the new year.

	Before we completely write off 2003 though, there are a couple of items worth
mentioning. We now allow plpgsql variables' default value expressions to
reference existing variables (such as function parameters). Some additional
capabilities were added to the timestamp formatting functions, allowing 1-4
digit year displays. We now allow quoting of "sameuser", "samegroup", and
"all" to remove special meaning of these terms in pg_hba.conf. Finally there
was some modification done to the query engine to fix a few corner cases
where the system would fail to recognize that a partial index was applicable
for a given query.

	That is it for this week, hope everyone has had a happy yuletide and wishing
everyone a happy new year!

== PostgreSQL Product News ==

DB_NestedSet 1.3.2 Released
http://pear.php.net/package/DB_NestedSet

== PostgreSQL In the News ==

LWM meets Chris DiBona
http://www.linuxworld.com/story/38284.htm?DE=1

== Upcoming Events ==

Linux.Conf.Au: Adelaide, Australia: January 12-17
BOF and Tutorials presented by Gavin Sherry
http://lca2004.linux.org.au.

NordU Usenix 2004: Denmark: January 28 - February 1
Bruce Momjian will be giving PostgreSQL several tutorials
http://www.nordu.org/NordU2004/

Linux Solutions 2004: Paris, France: February 4-6
Bruce Momjian will be presenting
http://www.linuxsolutions.fr/EN/home/index.php?site=default

== PostgreSQL Weekly News - December 29th 2003 ==
Don't forget to read Elein Mustain's Weekly Summary of the PostgreSQL
General Mailing List http://www.varlena.com/GeneralBits/

On the Web:
http://www.postgresql.org
http://advocacy.postgresql.org