Re: phppgadmin, pkey's and indexes

From: Michael Fuhr <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org>
To: CSN <cool_screen_name90001(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: phppgadmin, pkey's and indexes
Date: 2003-12-29 06:53:12
Lists: pgsql-general

On Sun, Dec 28, 2003 at 10:42:32PM -0800, CSN wrote:
> In phppgadmin, primary keys are added/shown under
> "constraints". Does creating a primary key
> automatically create an index? No indexes are listed
> under phppgadmin's indexes page, but "\d table" in
> psql shows indexes for primary keys.

From the documentation for CREATE TABLE:

"PostgreSQL automatically creates an index for each unique constraint
and primary key constraint to enforce the uniqueness. Thus, it is not
necessary to create an explicit index for primary key columns."

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/sql-createtable.html

--
Michael Fuhr
http://www.fuhr.org/~mfuhr/