Re: What's faster?

From: Mike Nolan <nolan(at)gw(dot)tssi(dot)com>
To: kbottner(at)comcast(dot)net (Keith Bottner)
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: What's faster?
Date: 2003-12-27 01:06:21
Lists: pgsql-performance

> Because Postgres requires VACUUM ANALYZE more frequently on updated tables,
> should I break this single field out into its own table, and if so what kind
> of a speed up can I expect to achieve. I would be appreciative of any
> guidance offered.

Unless that field is part of the key, I wouldn't think that a vacuum
analyze would be needed, as the key distribution isn't changing.

I don't know if that is still true if that field is indexed. Tom?

Even then, as I understand things vacuum analyze doesn't rebuild indexes,
so I could see a need to drop and rebuild indexes on a regular basis,
even if you move that field into a separate table.
--
Mike Nolan