Re: Quoting of psql \d output

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Quoting of psql \d output
Date: 2003-12-23 15:00:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Tom Lane wrote:
> > psql \d always double-quotes table names:
> > Table "public.xx"
>
> Yeah, that has bugged me for a while, because it is in fact *wrong* ...
> the above representation of a qualified name is incorrect.

> > This patch uses pg_dump fmtId() to double-quote only when necessary.
>
> Seems good, but I think your Makefile patch is a brick or two shy of
> a load. Don't you need something to make sure that parser/keywords.o
> is up to date?

OK, got it. I didn't notice the submake-backend rule before. Attached.

> More generally, maybe we ought to think about moving fmtId() and perhaps
> other parts of dumputils out of pg_dump and into some
> more-easily-accessible library.

I will return to that. Right now we have been putting code shared by
the backend and /bin into pgport, but I don't think that is going to be
clean for things shared by just /bin, and we have the keywords.c
dependency, making this even more complex.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us

Attachment Content-Type Size
unknown_filename text/plain 7.3 KB