Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql-server/ oc/src/sgml/datatype.sgml rc/bac ...

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Ron Mayer <ron(at)intervideo(dot)com>,PostgreSQL-patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql-server/ oc/src/sgml/datatype.sgml rc/bac ...
Date: 2003-12-21 04:37:06
Lists: pgsql-committerspgsql-patches
Tom Lane wrote:
> momjian(at)svr1(dot)postgresql(dot)org (Bruce Momjian) writes:
> > 	Attached is a patch that addressed all the discussed issues that
> > 	did not break backward compatability,
>
> Was this patch actually agreed to?  I hadn't gotten around to looking
> at it because I thought Peter was still objecting to the whole idea.
>
> >       including the ability to
> > 	output ISO-8601 compliant intervals by setting datestyle to
> > 	iso8601basic.
>
> This is a horrid, horrid idea.  Datestyle is already a complete mess
> because it is being used to control several things; it should have been
> two or possibly three GUC variables not one.  Sticking in yet another
> behavior is just not acceptable IMHO, especially when it's defined as
> non-orthogonally as that.
>
> Please revert that part of the patch and instead invent a new GUC
> variable that's specifically for interval formatting.
>
> BTW, I can tell without looking that the patch is deficient in
> documentation; if it has effects on GUC variables, why is there no
> mod in runtime.sgml?

OK, I have backed out the patch.  Peter did object, but I said I thought
the submitter had addressed the objections (backward compatibility) and
I asked for someone to tell me the objections, and no one replied, so I
assumed it was OK and it went through the standard patch application
process.

The patch is attached if someone wants to modify it to head in the
direction that most developers prefer.