Re: [GENERAL] Temporary tables and miscellaneous schemas

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: PostgreSQL-patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Sean Chittenden <sean(at)chittenden(dot)org>, btober(at)seaworthysys(dot)com
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Temporary tables and miscellaneous schemas
Date: 2003-12-21 04:26:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

pgman wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
> > Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us> writes:
> > > How about if we add a UNION that does:
> > > UNION
> > > SELECT 'non-local temp schemas skipped', NULL
> >
> > I think showing that would only be appropriate if we actually *did* skip
> > some. Finding that out would complicate the query unduly IMHO.
> >
> > > I see a few goals here:
> > > Prevent \dn from showing lots of lines for large installs
> > > Show the local temp schema so people can query it
> >
> > If those are agreed to be the goals then we end up with your original
> > solution (or a working implementation of same anyway).
> >
> > I'd like to see some input from other people about what they want...
>
> I have added this to the TODO list:
>
> * Have psql \dn show only visible schemas using current_schemas()
>
> I know there was talk of showing all schemas only in admin mode, but I
> don't think we want to implement different behavior until we have a more
> practical reason to have such a mode distiction. Of course, \dn will
> have to be documented that is supresses non-visible schemas, and admins
> can always do a select from pg_namespace.

This patch uses current_schemas('true') to display only the schemas in
the current search path and implicit schemas.

It uses an array with =ANY(), which we already do in psql's describe.c
for groups. I also had to use :: for casting because that's the only
way to cast function parameters, I think.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us

Attachment Content-Type Size
unknown_filename text/plain 2.1 KB