Re: Hello and some questions

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
Cc: "Gavin M(dot) Roy" <gmr(at)ehpg(dot)net>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Hello and some questions
Date: 2003-12-18 21:29:52
Lists: pgsql-www

Robert,

> That's all ancient history at this point... we'll welcome contributions
> from anyone, as long as there willing to work with the rest of the
> team...

I'll invite her to join WWW.

> Maybe I underestimate the complexity, but sending it to me and me
> dumping it into html seems pretty easy... isn't this essentially what
> Elein is doing now ?

At least with my articles on Techdocs, the formatting was more complex than
that (code examples are a real pain). And it is what Elein is doing now,
which is also a bottleneck.

The advantage of a good CMS is that it "runs itself"; people contribute stuff
and other people approve it and it goes up, and this can all be a distributed
effort. Currently, people need root-level shell access to the VM to modify
anything.

> exactly... how long do we wait for these solutions to appear? if we can
> do something now I think it's a step in the right direction.

jobs.postgresql.org? End of January, maybe. It's code we've done before.

> whose working on that? you/elein? is there some way others could pitch
> in?

Yes. Let me find out from David Fetter if the test server is still
accessable.

> well, don't know that that is entirely true, given your company does
> postgresql support, they do have a direct benefit from your
> participation and gain a lot more from widening the community... really
> a side issue though...

That's why I said "full time"; right now I balance community management &
contributions with direct-pay work.

--
-Josh Berkus

Josh Berkus
Complete information technology josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com
and data management solutions (415) 565-7293
for law firms, small businesses fax 621-2533