Re: Postgresql on software RAID

From: Sean Chittenden <sean(at)chittenden(dot)org>
To: Adam Witney <awitney(at)sghms(dot)ac(dot)uk>
Cc: pgsql-admin <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Postgresql on software RAID
Date: 2003-12-18 05:39:06
Lists: pgsql-admin
> I am experimenting with a few OS's for my new hardware. I plan to have a
> software RAID5 device for my pgsql data directory.
>
> I have been experimenting with FreeBSD and with Linux, does anyone have any
> thoughts on whether vinum RAID devices are better than Linux software RAID?
> Or vice versa... Or no difference at all? Any gotchas I should bear in mind?

You have to be more specific than just software RAID... IDE software
RAID helps with reliability, but it's murder on performance.  Only one
command can be issued at a time with IDE, so your performance of RAID
1 is going to be half that of just writing to a single device.  SCSI
on the other hand...  SCSI is the only way to go if you're serious
about databases.  -sc

--
Sean Chittenden