Re: FAQ_MSWIN patch: clarify instructions

From: Jason Tishler <jason(at)tishler(dot)net>
To: Daniel Convissor <danielc(at)analysisandsolutions(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: FAQ_MSWIN patch: clarify instructions
Date: 2003-12-15 21:36:16
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

Daniel,

Sorry for the sluggish response time, but I was traveling on business
all of last week.

On Tue, Dec 09, 2003 at 10:52:18PM -0500, Daniel Convissor wrote:
> What the reply calls "extraneous detail" are details that tripped me
> up -- and as I can see from being on this list for just a few days,
> several other people as well.

IMO, my README should *not* be a Cygwin tutorial, user's guide, FAQ,
etc. Better versions than I have the time, energy, and ability to
produce already exist. For example:

http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/
http://cygwin.com/faq.html

> After grep'ing for some phrases you've mentioned, I see now see that part
> of the confusion is the multiplicity of readme and faq files.
>
> /usr/share/doc/Cygwin/postgresql-7.4.README

The above is my README which I have full control over.

> /usr/share/doc/postgresql-7.4/README
> /usr/share/doc/postgresql-7.4/FAQ_MSWIN
> /usr/share/doc/postgresql-7.4/INSTALL

The above are part of the standard PostgreSQL distribution which I can
only submit patches against.

> Now I see most of the extraneous things I suggested are contained in
> postgresql-7.4.README.

Yes.

> This brings up the following...
>
> None of these files -- including specific locations and names -- are
> mentioned by the docs at http://www.postgresql.org/docs/
>
> Each of these documents make vague references to the other documents,
> rather than providing exact names. Also, these references are made only
> in some circumstances, not all that are relevant -- or perhaps better, up
> at the top of each document.
>
> The documents contain overlapping information.
>
> It seems FAQ_MSWIN is superfluous. The bits of information there that
> aren't in postgresql-7.4.README should be moved to postgresql-7.4.README.

I'm sorry but I don't have the time or motivation to resolve the above
right now.

> Here are some replies to specific points...
>
> On Mon, Dec 01, 2003 at 10:49:09AM -0500, Jason Tishler wrote:
> > On Thu, Nov 27, 2003 at 01:13:34AM -0500, Daniel Convissor wrote:
> > > - 3c. Start up the postmaster. Use a command similar to the
> > > - following:
> > > + You must be logged on as the user that installed Cygwin in
> > > + order for this command to work.
> >
> > The above is not true if your Cygwin environment is set up correctly.
> > Unfortunately, a change in Windows security and a deficiency in Cygwin's
> > setup.exe exacerbates this problem.
>
> Please elaborate. Also, the FAQ should elaborate.

Please search the archives (include the Cygwin one) for the details. I
attempted to resolve this issue, but was unsuccessful. Ultimately, this
will (or should be resolved) when an ntsec patch is finally applied to
Cygwin's setup.exe.

> > > + When referring to paths outside of Cygwin's root, PostgreSQL
> > > + expects the paths to use the "/cygdrive/<drive>/<dir>" syntax
> > > + rather than the Windows like syntax of "<drive>:/<dir>."
> > > + Example:
> > > +
> > > + /cygdrive/d/pgsql/data
> >
> > IMO, the above is extraneous detail.
>
> But it's not. Some programs under Cygwin need the "c:/dir" syntax and
> others need the "/cygdrive/d/dir" syntax.
> [snip]

The above is not true. No Cygwin programs require the "c:/dir" syntax
-- all can use the "/cygdrive/d/dir" syntax.

> > > - postmaster -D /usr/local/pgsql/data
> > > + 3c. Set the PGDATA environment variable. Example commands would be:
> > > +
> > > + PGDATA=/usr/local/pgsql/data
> > > + export PGDATA
> > > +
> > > + 3d. Start up the server:
> > > +
> > > + pg_ctl start
> >
> > IMO, the above is only a "style" change.
>
> Yeah. But doesn't learning this style here makes long term usage easier?

Maybe, but the focus of my README is to describe the differences between
a Cygwin and Unix PostgreSQL install -- it's not to be a complete
PostgreSQL tutorial. Likewise for FAQ_MSWIN.

Jason

Fingerprint: 7A73 1405 7F2B E669 C19D 8784 1AFD E4CC ECF4 8EF6