Re: Call from Info World

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>,Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>,Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>,PostgreSQL advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Call from Info World
Date: 2003-11-30 18:08:11
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Nov 2003, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > Yes, you do, but in the open source world, you need several open source
> > projects together to make something similar in functionality to Windows.
>
> Right, what the end user (or distro) has to pull together in a symbiotic
> relationship between projects, Microsoft acquires financially :)

Right, you could compare Red Hat to Windows, but of course Red Hat isn't
an open source project --- it is a company, and in fact Linux doesn't
even work as a comparison because the kernel is just an operating
system, not a window manager, file server, etc.

> > I am not saying that is wrong, and in fact it is often better, but you
> > can't make a clear parallel between KDE and Windows, or Samba and
> > Windows.  What you could do is to draw similarity between Windows and
> > Linux/KDE/Samba, but that is quite a mouthful for people to understand ---
> > it is 1 to 3, not one to 1 as it is with Oracle-PostgreSQL.
>
> Only because Windows has 'acquired' the technology and bundled it as it
> saw fit ... at one point, they were distinct parts ...

Maybe, but the point is that PostgreSQL is a single piece of software
that compares mostly feature for feature to commercial software, and
there aren't a lot of open source projects like that, and even fewer
that aren't controlled by a company or group of companies.