Re: fork/exec

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Claudio Natoli <claudio(dot)natoli(at)memetrics(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Win32 port list <pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: fork/exec
Date: 2003-11-28 19:41:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32

Tom Lane wrote:
> Claudio Natoli <claudio(dot)natoli(at)memetrics(dot)com> writes:
> > * I see you are passing the values of things like UsedShmemSegID,
> > UsedShmemSegAddr etc on the command line. Was your intention to pass other
> > shared mem addresses like FreeSpaceMap, LWLockArray in this way too, or did
> > you intend to register these addresses within another section of shared
> > memory, or some other idea (FWIW, I've got a cygwin version fork/exec'ing
> > the backends using the former method).
>
> Cluttering the backend command line with intra-shmem addresses is messy
> and unnecessary. The shmem index map (see ShmemInitStruct) was designed
> to allow backends to discover this stuff for themselves, and we should
> resurrect that function.

Agreed. We have to pass the shared memory address, but the rest should
be registered in shared memory somewhere and we can initialize those
values. The old code used to point _using_ those memory pointers, but I
don't think that is necessary --- in fork/exec mode, we can just use
share memory to initialize the pointers properly.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us