Re: For full text indexing, which is better, tsearch2 or

From: Steve Atkins <steve(at)blighty(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: For full text indexing, which is better, tsearch2 or
Date: 2003-11-27 03:28:31
Lists: pgsql-performance
On Thu, Nov 27, 2003 at 08:51:14AM +0800, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
> >Which one is better (performance/easier to use),
> >tsearch2 or fulltextindex?
> >there is an example how to use fulltextindex in the
> >techdocs, but I checked the contrib/fulltextindex
> >package, there is a WARNING that fulltextindex is
> >much slower than tsearch2. but tsearch2 seems
> >complex to use, and I can not find a good example.
> >Which one I should use? Any suggestions?
>
> I believe I wrote that warning :)
>
> Tsearch2 is what you should use.  Yes, it's more complicated but it's
> HEAPS faster and seriously powerful.

Does anyone have any metrics on how fast tsearch2 actually is?

I tried it on a synthetic dataset of a million documents of a hundred
words each and while insertions were impressively fast I gave up on
the search after 10 minutes.

Broken? Unusable slow? This was on the last 7.4 release candidate.

Cheers,
  Steve