Re: Size on Disk

From: Grzegorz Dostatni <dostatnig(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Size on Disk
Date: 2003-11-26 04:37:52
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-docs pgsql-hackers

Thank you for your very quick response Chester.

I guess I should clarify something. Knoppix is a
version of linux that runs entirely in memory. I need
as smallest footprint as possible.

Currently the datase is roughly 80 Megs. About half of
the size is stored in pg_xlog directory. I managed to
figure out that those files are transaction log files?
How can I delete them safely? (after creatation the
database will pretty much be read-only - any changes
will be in memory only). Are there any other tricks I
can use to get the size down? Please keep in mind that
I work with a fairly new database - I'm always
recreating it from a dump so only the initial inserts
are in there, no changes or deletions.

Vacuuming helps a bit, but nowhere near as much as I
would hope.

Greg
Greg