Re: design question: general db performance

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: shane hill <shill(at)adobe(dot)com>, pgsql-performance <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: design question: general db performance
Date: 2003-11-25 19:12:47
Lists: pgsql-performance

Shane,

> Disclaimer: I am relatively new to RDBMSs, so please do not laugh at me
> too loudly, you can laugh, just not too loudly and please do not point. :)

Hey, we all started somewhere. Nobody was born knowing databases. Except
maybe Neil Conway.

> I am working on an Automated Installer Testing System for Adobe Systems
> and I am doing a DB redesign of the current postgres db:

Cool! We're going to want to talk to you about a case study later, if you
can get your boss to authorize it ....

> Our db is getting to be a respectable size (about 10GB right now) and is
> growing slower and slower.

Slower and slower? Hmmm ... what's your VACUUM. ANALYZE & REINDEX schedule?
What PG version? What are your postgresql.conf settings? Progressive
performance loss may indicate a problem with one or more of these things ...

> then in my data I would just store 1,2,3 or 4 instead of the whole
> permissions string.
>
> it seems to me that we would save lots of space and over time not see
> the same performance degradation.

Yes, this is a good idea. Abstracting other repetitive data is good too.
Also keep in mind that the permissions themselves can be represented as octal
numbers instead of strings, which takes less space.

--
-Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions