Re: Comparing databases

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Paul Ganainm <paulsnewsgroups(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Comparing databases
Date: 2003-11-25 03:49:38
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
Paul Ganainm wrote:
> > A good example is our function language support. While most of the databases
> > above support some type of procedural language, do any of them support more
> > than 10 different types of procedural languages?
>

> Maybe this is a silly question, but do you really need more than 10?
> What's the matter with one that does a great job?

How are you going to obfuscate your app without using several languages?
SAP-DB used Pascal, Python, and C in the backend for reason.  What job
security!  (Ducks for cover.)  :-)

> > I seem to recall reading that most of the firebird core developers all work
> > for the same commercial company, perhaps that is not true?
>

> Nope - I don't think so. There are a few who work for IBPhoenix, who
> consult on Interbase and Firebird and restore corrupted dbs &c., but

Man, we need to get us some of that "corruption" to boost consuting
fees!  :-)

I just checked my Groff book and I don't see PostgreSQL mentioned in the
index.  It is dated copyright 1999.  Do you have a newer edition?