Re: Comparing databases

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Paul Ganainm <paulsnewsgroups(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Comparing databases
Date: 2003-11-25 03:39:40
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
Paul Ganainm wrote:

> merlin(dot)moncure(at)rcsonline(dot)com says...
>

> > Firebird is a good product.  I can't speak for Mr. Treat, but I think
> > you will find any misstated facts about said database to be purely
> > unintentional.=20=20
>

> Indeed, from the responses, people here seem to be very open and
> interested in getting to the truth.

We are not!  :-)

> > The story of Interbase is a sad one.  Borland really dropped the ball,
> > charging 3000$ for its development kit (enterprise Delphi/bcb) PLUS site
> > licensing for the database.
>

> You are suggesting royalty free distribution of the server if you have
> purchased Delphi/BCB?
>

> Might have been an idea. I have recently purchased "The Complete
> Reference SQL" by Groff and Weinberg - it seems good. They have the
> histories of several RDBMS products (incl. yours, and some I'd never
> heard of) but not even a mention of Interbase or Firebird.

Good book --- I learned SQL from an early Groff book in the early 90's
and have the book you are mentioning.

> I really really think that Interbase/Firebird is good stuff, and I am
> constantly surprised that it doesn't get much exposure.

Yep, we are too, and I have to admit I suspect that PostgreSQL is part
of it --- in some ways, I am sure we have sucked up users and devlopers
that might have gone to Firebird if we weren't here.