Re: Call from Info World

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>,PostgreSQL advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Call from Info World
Date: 2003-11-22 15:13:50
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Guys,
>
> > > Hmm... I don't see amanda, openacs, or ltsp all that visible to the
> > > greater tech (ie. commercially driven) community, and Perl and Python
> > > aren't really the same; there not a piece of software like postgresql.
>
> So?  They are open source projects.    Linux isn't a piece of software like us
> either.
>
> > Yea, I said Apache didn't fit the list, but I was thinking of Sendmail
> > at the time, which is controlled by Sendmail, Inc.  (Talk about
> > confusing with PostgreSQL, Inc.  Yuck.)
> >
> > Anyway, Apache might be closest.
>
> No, Apache is very dominated by IBM, at least they were a year ago ... I've
> heard lots of bitching about it from their mailing lists and nasty politics.
>
> Other projects that I'mm pretty sure aren't corporate-run:  Samba, Abiword,
> Gnucash, Webmin, OpenGroupware, Hordemail.
>
> I believe that KDE is rather dominated by SuSE these days, but I could be
> wrong.

Here is what I have come up with for a future talk.   Is it accurate?

Uniqueness of PostgreSQL as an Open Source Project

Not like:

    * Not Linux - no single gatekeeper, project is usable without enhancement
    * Not Mozilla - no company history like AOL/Netscape
    * Not Open Office -  no controlling company like Sun
    * Not Gnome - no controlling companies
    * Not PHP - no Zend steering development
    * Not Sendmail - no control by Sendmail, Inc.
    * Not MySQL - no MySQL AB that does all server development

More like:

    * FreeBSD - community project
    * Samba - active developer community