Re: [HACKERS] More detail on settings for pgavd?

From: Alvaro Herrera Munoz <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl>
To: "Matthew T(dot) O'Connor" <matthew(at)zeut(dot)net>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>, Shridhar Daithankar <shridhar_daithankar(at)myrealbox(dot)com>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] More detail on settings for pgavd?
Date: 2003-11-22 14:46:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-performance

On Fri, Nov 21, 2003 at 04:24:25PM -0500, Matthew T. O'Connor wrote:

> I don't want to add tables to existing databases, as I consider that
> clutter and I never like using tools that clutter my production
> databases. [...]
>
> Actually, this might be a necessary addition as pg_autovacuum currently
> suffers from the startup transients that the FSM used to suffer from,
> that is, it doesn't remember anything that happened the last time it
> ran. A pg_autovacuum database could also be used to store thresholds
> and counts from the last time it ran.

You could use the same approach the FSM uses: keep a file with the data,
PGDATA/base/global/pg_fsm.cache. You don't need the data to be in a table
after all ...

Essentially, you're proposing Kevlar shoes as a solution for the problem
that you want to walk around carrying a loaded gun aimed at your foot.
(Tom Lane)