Re: Call from Info World

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Alvaro Herrera Munoz <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl>,Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>,PostgreSQL advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Call from Info World
Date: 2003-11-21 16:41:39
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
Alvaro,

> Gnome is a big project involving lots of people and lots of corporations,
> but it's not controlled by any one of them.  I _think_ it's similar to
> PostgreSQL in that there is a core of people that could be said to
> "control" it.

Though to hear about it second-hand, the corporations involved collectively
control it; that is, Sun, Ximian, IBM, Novell, and a couple of others all
have execs on the Gnome board and independant contributors don't get any say.
Mind you, this is from a Debian person bitching about it at LinuxWorld 2003,
so they may have been exaggerating ....

That's very different from our project, where corporations have sway over
their contributor-employees, and sometimes not even that.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions