Re: Call from Info World

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Call from Info World
Date: 2003-11-20 23:52:28
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> >Interestingly, in trying to think of a visible open source project that
> >isn't controlled by a company, I couldn't think of one. Mozilla, PHP,
> >Apache, MySQL, even perhaps Linux have one very visible company that has
> >significant control over the project, while we do not. Is there a good
> >example someone can think of?
> >

> Well, as much as I hate to admit it... Red Hat would be the closest that I
> can think of. They employ Tom and are probably the most visible of Open
> Source companies there is (at least in the states).
>
> Although they don't in anyway control the direction, Tom is fairly
> influential ;).

But the issue is that he is looking for a company that controls
PostgreSQL, and there isn't want. Throwing him the most likely
candidate (Red Hat) is really misleading him because he is looking for
something that doesn't exist (a company that controls PostgreSQL
development).

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us