Re: Call from Info World

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>,Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Call from Info World
Date: 2003-11-21 04:27:10
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
Guys,

> > Hmm... I don't see amanda, openacs, or ltsp all that visible to the
> > greater tech (ie. commercially driven) community, and Perl and Python
> > aren't really the same; there not a piece of software like postgresql.

So?  They are open source projects.    Linux isn't a piece of software like us
either.

> Yea, I said Apache didn't fit the list, but I was thinking of Sendmail
> at the time, which is controlled by Sendmail, Inc.  (Talk about
> confusing with PostgreSQL, Inc.  Yuck.)
>
> Anyway, Apache might be closest.

No, Apache is very dominated by IBM, at least they were a year ago ... I've
heard lots of bitching about it from their mailing lists and nasty politics.

Other projects that I'mm pretty sure aren't corporate-run:  Samba, Abiword,
Gnucash, Webmin, OpenGroupware, Hordemail.

I believe that KDE is rather dominated by SuSE these days, but I could be
wrong.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions