Re: Page contents

From: Euler Taveira de Oliveira <euler(at)ufgnet(dot)ufg(dot)br>
To: Michael Glaesemann <grzm(at)myrealbox(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Page contents
Date: 2003-11-14 20:40:58
Lists: pgsql-www

Hi Michael,

> I wonder if people don't get a little overwhelmed when they view the
> site. I tried to address this a little in this design (published before
> (correctly!) by Andreas, included here again for convenience)
>
> http://200.46.204.98/postgresql_org/html/index3.htm

Oh, nice job. Pretty neat.

> There's definitely from for improvement. For example, I think
> downloading, versions, and mirrors are all very similar—you look for
> mirrors for alternative places to download, you want to know what
> versions are available for download—and could be grouped effectively
> rather than having them in different places around the page.

Yes, that's what I ask for Josh.

> I also tried to reduce the descriptive text. For example, some things
> such as About and Contact appear to becoming quite standard on many
> pages, and can replace longer descriptions such as "What is
> PostgreSQL?" and "Contact the Webmasters". In the latter case, it
> provides a chance to provide more contact information to direct someone
> more specifically besides just a mailto.

I agree with Dave. We need to provide "Contact the Webmaster" but I think it could be in the bottom of the page. It's not as important as Documentation!

> There needs to be a balance between making things easily accessible to
> visitors and (potentially) giving them too much to handle off the bat.
> I'm not suggesting where that balance should be, but I'm interested to
> know what others think about how much can be cut down, combined, or
> eliminated, or expanded upon. (Longer descriptions of news? Fewer news
> items on the front page?)
>
> It looks like Euler Taveira de Oliveira has thought about some of these
> things too, given the departures he's taken in his redesigns. I haven't
> heard a lot about this, so perhaps people like the moves in this
> direction.

Yeah. We are providing some design but we don't have the site map.

> Keeping in mind that I am a newcomer, I know I'm missing quite a bit of
> history when it comes to the thoughts that were put into the current
> design. There is an advantage to being a newcomer as well, as that's
> what hopefully a lot of visitors are.

Me too. That's why I'm asking for build the site map.

Regards,

--
Euler Taveira de Oliveira
euler (at) ufgnet.ufg.br