Re: [GENERAL] Postgres 7.4 : ECPG not Thread-safe

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Philip Yarra <philip(at)utiba(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-interfaces <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Postgres 7.4 : ECPG not Thread-safe
Date: 2003-11-13 04:47:39
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Philip Yarra wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 03:16 pm, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Interfaces list, where is there detailed ecpg documentaiton, like
> > documentation on the AT clause?
>
> I'm willing to have a go at updating the doco. Can someone point me to a guide
> to getting started with the markup we use?

Great, but be warned --- the work is huge. Basically, ecpg is a full
ANSI SQL-standard C interface to PostgreSQL. It is the only ANSI
standard application interface we support, I think. Let me also add
that it is totally cool! It doesn't look all that friendly, but once
you start coding in it, and pass variables in and out of queries, it
takes on amazing power and has amazing clarity. If I was coding an app
in C, it would be the interface I would use. libpq requires just too
much house-cleaning for me.

Anyway, I think you can grab any ANSI SQL enbedded document and get
ideas. You can look at vendors docs because those are going to be very
similar, and you can look at the ANSI standard for ideas. Of course,
check out what you see against our existing grammer to be sure we
support it, but once you are done, I think you could create a document
that really shows the power of ecpg --- right now, our docs don't do it
justice.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us