Re: Of Conventions: PHPCon & Comdex

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Of Conventions: PHPCon & Comdex
Date: 2003-11-13 05:17:52
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Bruce,

> I spent time with a number of folks at the event. One disurbing thing,
> without going into deals, is that the PHP development community seems to
> have every disfunction I can think of.

Really? I'd not had that impression at all from PHPCon West, but I just
talked to the development guys one by one, and not all of them were there. I
was really excited about porting PHP5 to Parrot, 'cause it means that I can
combine my PHP and Perl skills!

> That upset me because I assumed
> open source development communities were just all big, happy places, but
> the reality I now know is quite different. That scared me and I
> realized it could happen to PostgreSQL one day if we are not diligent.

Hmmm ... try joining a corporate sponsored OSS project, like one sponsored by
Sun or IBM. So political it's like running for a local office.

One of the things I love about the PostgreSQL project is that nobody on the
project considers it acceptable to put their ego ahead of PostgreSQL's growth
& survival.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions