DBA needed: Toronto

From: Andrew Sullivan <andrew(at)libertyrms(dot)info>
To: pgsql-announce(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: DBA needed: Toronto
Date: 2003-11-12 17:07:10
Lists: pgsql-announce

Hi all,

We need a PostgreSQL DBA. I have a sample job description attached.
This is _not_ the job description of the position in question, but
it's similar (it's the generic basis of several different
descriptions).

We are actually looking for one person, but have two different sorts
of roles to fill. One is mostly a developer-and-QA support role; a
person in this role will have secondary responsibility for our live
systems, and will mostly be involved in supporting developers and QA
as they ask questions about performance, wonder why something doesn't
work like it does in Oracle, &c. Experience with PostgreSQL query
tuning is absoltely essential here. Alternatively, we will hire
someone who is almost completely dedicated to the production systems.
Such a person will need to have proven experience in
high-availability systems, and will need plenty of experience
supporting Postgres in such cases. In either case, we are
requiring some PostgreSQL experience for this position.

You can mail your resume and cover directly to me, but please cc:
<careers(at)libertyrms(dot)info>.

For those of you unfamiliar with Afilias (our parent), we currently
operate the .INFO and (under contract to PIR) the technical part of
.ORG Internet registries. We use PostgreSQL for this. Our
operations employees work in Toronto, Ont.

Thanks,

Database Administrator

Main purpose of the position

To install, configure, administer, maintain and support
mulitiple databases and related applications both in
production and test environemnts, and provide 2nd level
support to the customer and technical support groups.

Key responsibilities

* maintain production, test, and internal (support) databases

* monitor database performance and tune database
management system as necessary

* work closely with system administrators during
software installation and upgrades

* ensure availability of databases in accordance with
service level agreements

* correct problems in databases quickly and correctly

* support and install the firm's software in the firm's
production environments

* support database replication system

* offer assistance to developers in tuning database
queries under development

* produce reports as requested

* assist in design of reports in co-operation with users

Technical knowledge & skills required

* experience with production-grade relational database
management systems; PostgreSQL experience is strongly
preferred.

* previous experience with UNIX/Linux

* ability to support a mission-critical database environment

* familiarity with approaches to database backup and recovery

* solid knowledge of SQL and alternative formulations
of the same SQL statement

* some experience with production-quality environment

* ability to support replicated databases & related
replication systems

* familiarity with networking protocols and devices

* knowledge of requirements for high availability

* familiarity with UNIX shell scripting

* familiarity with Perl or VB an asset

* familiarity with MySQL or DB2 an asset

Mental and physical demands

* works daily on a personal computer

* frequently carries a mobile phone during non-business hours

* sometimes required to work extended periods

Working conditions

* standard open-plan office environment

* sometimes required to work outside regular office hours

* sometimes required to work from remote locations
(remote offices, home)

* required to concentrate under high stress and short deadlines

Personal skills required

* exceptionally thorough and efficient

* excellent analytical ability

* able to adapt to a constantly changing environment
with potentially conflicting priorities

* ability to take initiative

* self-directed

* good at working with others

* excellent comprehension of written technical material

* excellent verbal communication skills

* good written communication skills

--
----