Re: client authentication towards postgresql in php?

From: Daniel Struck <struck(dot)d(at)retrovirology(dot)lu>
To: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-php(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: client authentication towards postgresql in php?
Date: 2003-11-11 13:54:25
Lists: pgsql-php

> If your actually creating a user inside the database for each user,
> authentication is handled inside the database and passwords are held
> inside the database. When your php login script fires off, save the
> user name/ password into a session and then use that info to build your
> pg_connect strings.

The problem is, I don't have a password available in php.
The users are authenticated with x509 certificats and a private key, not a password. The private key is stored on a smartcard and never leaves it, the smartcard itself handles the authentication with apache.

Problem now is, I want to authenticate the user with postgresql, to be able to log what the user is doing in postgresql itself.
But I don't have a password to authenticate the user.
Thought about using a Kerberos ticket in postgresql, but don't know how to setup this.

Daniel

--
Retrovirology Laboratory Luxembourg
Centre Hospitalier de Luxembourg

phone: +352-44116105
fax: +352-44116113
web: http://www.retrovirology.lu
e-mail: struck(dot)d(at)retrovirology(dot)lu