Re: building pgadmin3 on rh7.3

From: Jean-Michel POURE <jm(at)poure(dot)com>
To: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>, "Andrew Dunstan" <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: building pgadmin3 on rh7.3
Date: 2003-11-06 10:03:32
Lists: pgadmin-hackers pgadmin-support

Le Jeudi 6 Novembre 2003 09:41, Dave Page a écrit :
> Any ideas?

Dear Andrew and Dave,

The RPMs from pgAdmin web site were build under RedHat9 and include the latest
binary depencies. You need a recent environment to install pgAdmin3 binaries.

When building pgAdmin3 from SRPM source code, you also need a very recent
environment. This issue must be cleared in the interest of everyone here,
because you ar not the first person to ask for RedHat <9 packages

:)

In the following days, probably this week-end, I will try to add the needed
build-time depencies in the SRPM. But then, it may well prove impossible to
build under RedHat < 9.

Why?

Because pgAdmin3 is based on the latest patched-version of wxWindows, which
you can only get from CVS and that we package from time to time. Otherwise,
pgAdmin3 would not be available at all.

Hence, you will also need to install our latest wxWindows RPMs with pgAdmin
patches. Therefore, you may well end up upgrading:
- tens of dynamic libraries loaded at run-time by wxWindows.
- build-time libraries for pgAdmin.

I would be glad to see pgAdmin3 running under RedHat8. If you are interested
(which I would call "you are prepared to help us because this will be a lot
of time for you"), we can work together on this issue. This will probably
result in RH8 packages being published on our site. Your choice.

Best regards,
Jean-Michel