Primary Keys

From: "Farid Khan" <Farid(dot)Khan(at)rogers(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Primary Keys
Date: 2003-11-05 04:05:49
Lists: pgsql-novice

I quote from the PG Docs:

PRIMARY KEY (column constraint)
PRIMARY KEY ( column_name [, ... ] ) (table constraint)
The primary key constraint specifies that a column or columns of a table may
contain only unique (non-duplicate), non-NULL values. Technically, PRIMARY
KEY is merely a combination of UNIQUE and NOT NULL, but identifying a set of
columns as primary key also provides meta-data about the design of the
schema, as a primary key implies that other tables may rely on this set of
columns as a unique identifier for rows.
Only one primary key can be specified for a table, whether as a column
constraint or a table constraint.
The primary key constraint should name a set of columns that is different
from other sets of columns named by any unique constraint defined for the
same table.

My question is this, I want to create a very large table, 1M records or
more. However, as I was reading some of the recent posts, namely: