Re: OT: OS/distribution recommendations

From: "D(dot) Spoon" <thirty7cent(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: OT: OS/distribution recommendations
Date: 2003-11-04 18:34:38
Lists: pgsql-novice

--- Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com> wrote:
> The two most popular OSes for PostgreSQL are Linux
> and BSD. There is some
> arguement about which is best for running the
> database, but you're interested
> in "easy to install", so that means Linux.

Thanks to Josh and all the others who replied. I have
a friend who old me to go with Red Hat, but as
mentioned, it looks like it's being discontinued. So I
went with their "Fedora" distribution (Test 3,
"Severn"). Even though it's beta, it was a snap to
install.

I had a little trouble getting PostgreSQL to run, but
a quick go at Google solved everything in just a few
minutes.

One thing I have to say right off the bat regarding
PostgreSQL -- there's *great* documentation available!
I worked my way through the tutorial last night, and
now it's on to reading the User Guide.

Again, a sincere thanks to everyone that offered
suggestions. I appreciate it.

--
D. Spoon