Re: Annotated release notes

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-documentation <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Annotated release notes
Date: 2003-10-31 19:26:38
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> > OK, I have committed changes to release.sgml so most complex entries
> > have a paragraph describing the change. You can see the result at:
> > http://candle.pha.pa.us/main/writings/pgsql/sgml/release.html#RELEASE-7-4
> > I need people to check this and help me with the items marked 'bjm'.
>
> Okay, a few comments ...

> <para>
> In previous releases, IN/NOT IN subqueries were joined to the
> upper query by sequentially scanning the subquery looking for
> a join. The 7.4 code uses the same sophisticated techniques
> used by ordinary joins and so is much faster, and is now faster
> than EXISTS subqueries.
> </para>
> </listitem>
>
> This might be overstatement. How about "... is much faster. An IN
> will now usually be as fast as or faster than an equivalent EXISTS
> subquery; this reverses the conventional wisdom that applied to previous
> Postgres releases."

Done.

> <para>
> In previous releases, GROUP BY totals were accumulated by
> sequentially scanning the list of groups looking for a match;
> the 7.4 code places GROUP BY values in hash buckets so the
> proper match can be found much quicker. This is particularly
> significant in speeding up queries that have a large
> number of distinct GROUP BY values.
> </para>
> </listitem>
>
> This is backwards. I suggest "In previous releases, GROUP BY required
> sorting the input data to bring group members together. 7.4 can do it
> that way, or can accumulate data into per-group hash buckets in-memory.
> The hash technique avoids a sort and so can be much faster, if the
> number of distinct GROUP BY values is not too large to fit in memory."

Done.

> <para>
> Prior releases evaluated ANSI join syntax only in the order
> specified by the query; 7.4 allows full optimization of
> queries using ANSI join syntax, meaning the optimizer considers
> all possible join orderings and chooses the most efficient.
> </para>
> </listitem>
>
> This is correct only for inner joins. Outer joins still follow the
> syntax-implied ordering. Not sure what the best rewording is.
>
> <listitem><para> Full support for IPv6 connections and IPv6 address
> data types</para>
> <para>
> Prior releases allowed only IPv6 connections and IP data types only
> supported IPv4 addresses. This release adds full IPv6 support in
> both of these areas.
> </para>
> </listitem>
>
> Surely "allowed only IPv4 connections".

Yep, fixed.

> <listitem><para> New protocol improves connection speed/reliability,
> and adds error codes, status information, a binary protocol, error
> reporting verbosity, and cleaner startup packets.</para>
> </listitem>
>
> I dunno anything about improving connection speed/reliability. How
> about "New client-to-server protocol adds error codes, more status
> information, better support for binary data transmission, parameter
> values separated from SQL commands, prepared statements available at the
> protocol level, clean recovery from COPY failures, and cleaner startup
> packets. The older protocol is still supported by both servers and
> clients."

Updated with your text.

I thought connections were faster because we passed fewer packets on
startup, and I thought you measured a speed improvement in connection
startup time. Am I remembering wrong?

> <para>
> Certain CPU's perform faster data copies when addresses are 32-bit
> aligned.
> </para>
> </listitem>
>
> bit -> byte

Fixed.

> <para>
> bjm
> </para>
> </listitem>
>
> Try:
>
> Fix aggregates in subqueries to match SQL spec
>
> The SQL spec says that an aggregate function appearing within a nested
> subquery belongs to the outer query if its argument contains only
> outer-query variables. Prior PG releases did not handle this fine point
> correctly.

Updated.

> <listitem><para>Add option to prevent auto-addition of tables referenced in query (Nigel J.
> Andrews) </para>
> <para>
> By default, tables mentioned in the query are automatically added
> to the FROM clause if they are not already there. This option
> disabled that behavior.
> </para>
> </listitem>
>
> I'd suggest "... not already there. This is compatible with
> historical Postgres behavior but is contrary to the SQL spec.
> This option allows selecting spec-compatible behavior."

Updated.

> "pggla_dump"?

Sure, you know, pggla_dump. :-) Fixed.

> Is it worth giving this its own bullet point? It's far down in the
> noise compared to all the other message rewordings.

I added it to the compatbility section at the top.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us