Re: O_DIRECT in freebsd

From: Jordan Henderson <jordan_henders(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: sailesh(at)cs(dot)berkeley(dot)edu
Cc: Doug McNaught <doug(at)mcnaught(dot)org>,Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>,PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: O_DIRECT in freebsd
Date: 2003-10-31 05:00:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Personally, I think it is useful to have features.  I quite understand the
difficulties in maintaining some features however.  Also having worked on
internals for commercial DB engines, I have specifically how code/data paths
can be shortened.  I would not make the choice for someone to be forced into
using a product in a specific manner.  Instead, I would let them decide
whether to choose a simple setup or, if they are up to it, something with
better performance.  I would not prune the options out.  In doing so, we
limit what a knowledgeable person can do a priori.

Jordan Henderson