Re: [SQL] Table versions

From: Stef <svb(at)ucs(dot)co(dot)za>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Rod Taylor <rbt(at)rbt(dot)ca>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [SQL] Table versions
Date: 2003-10-29 15:36:53
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-sql

Thanks guys,

I had a feeling this was the case, but wasn't sure.
The one-version pg_dump looks like a winner.

Regards
Stefan

##START##
=> Rod Taylor <rbt(at)rbt(dot)ca> writes:
=> >> What I did next, is put a trigger on pg_attribute that should, in theory,
=> >> on insert and update, fire up a function that will increment a version
=>
=> > System tables do not use the same process for row insertion / updates as
=> > the rest of the system. You're trigger will rarely be fired.
=>
=> s/rarely/never/. We do not support triggers on system catalogs. The
=> system should have done its best to prevent you from creating one ...
=> I suppose you had to hack around with a "postgres -O" standalone backend?
=>
=> Returning to the original problem, it seems to me that comparing "pg_dump
=> -s" output is a reasonable way to proceed. The problem of inconsistent
=> output format across pg_dump versions is a red herring --- just use a
=> single pg_dump version (the one for your newest server) for all the
=> dumps. Recent pg_dump versions still talk to older servers, back to 7.0
=> or thereabouts.
=>
=> regards, tom lane
=>