Re: Press Release

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Merlin Moncure <merlin(dot)moncure(at)rcsonline(dot)com>,pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Press Release
Date: 2003-10-29 22:24:18
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
Josh,

First of all, be aware that we have already collected half the translations
for the press kit.  So at this point, we can only cut paragraphs and not
edit.  These comments would have been more timely a month ago ....

> I believe is false. As long as you have to vacuum the above is not true.

How?  Vacuuming does not require the database to be offline.  Vacuum full
does, but that can be eliminated with proper tuning.

 Also
> as long as their is a potential that we have to use the reindex command the
above
> isn't true.

But reindex can now be eliminated if the FSM is tuned right.

> Anything that the "system" requires (which does not include transactions)
> that causes a lock for any period of time would invalidate the above.

And the whole point of the FSM feature is that most databases, with proper
tuning, should not require any maintainence which needs exclusive locking.

If anybody has evidence that the FSM index management doens't work, then we'll
cut the paragraph.  However, I'm inclined to trust Tom & Co., and my only
simple tests seemed to uphold the Lazy-Vacuum-ability of indexes.

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions