Re: [HACKERS] Autocomplete <TAB> on Postgres7.4beta5 not working?

From: Ian Barwick <barwick(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Alvaro Herrera Munoz <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl>
Cc: Gaetano Mendola <mendola(at)bigfoot(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Autocomplete <TAB> on Postgres7.4beta5 not working?
Date: 2003-10-28 23:02:57
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

On Tuesday 28 October 2003 23:47, Tom Lane wrote:
> Alvaro Herrera Munoz <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl> writes:
> > I found it very irritating at first, but when I discovered that I could
> > tab my way to syscatalogs by using "pg_catalog." as prefix, I started
> > feeling it was actually a nice behavior.
>
> Hm. Okay, Ian isn't completely alone then ;-)
>
> I tried out that approach just now, though, and found that I still had
> to type at least "pg_c" before I could get any tab completion help at
> all. Another odd thing was that after completing "pg_catalog.", it
> wouldn't go any further --- one must type "p" here, even though all the
> possible completions begin "pg_". (Possibly that could be fixed, but
> I don't know readline's behavior well enough to be sure.)

I'm not sure whether it's intended or not, but explicitly adding
pg_catalog to the search path alleviates this.

> So that's
> five typed characters and two tabs before one starts getting into the
> system catalogs. That seems like a lot of typing. If Ian were willing
> to type one more character of his p-something table names before hitting
> tab (I assume he's not calling them pg-something),

Err ;-)

db=> \d p
page_template_cache pg_ts_cfg_pkey
page_template_cache_ov_idx pg_ts_cfgmap
page_template_cache_pkey pg_ts_cfgmap_pkey
page_template_cache_template_idx pg_ts_dict
pg_catalog. pg_ts_dict_pkey
pg_temp_1. pg_ts_parser
pg_toast. pg_ts_parser_pkey
pg_ts_cfg public.

(The pg_ts_% are all from tsearch2 BTW. Though, they`re all in
a schema of their own so explicitly addressing them would
work equally well too).
> then he'd not have a
> problem with the availability of tab completion for system catalogs.

I'm sure I can live with that (one more character), at least until I finish
the brainwave input extension ;-).

Ian Barwick
barwick(at)gmx(dot)net