Re: Open items

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Open items
Date: 2003-10-28 14:00:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > > Have gcc use -g, add --disable-debug, rename?
> >
> > Personally I don't like the idea of this behavior defaulting differently
> > depending on which compiler you use. I can see the practical arguments
> > for doing so, but it still rubs me the wrong way. Can anyone offer new
> > arguments pro or con here?
>
> You and I think don't like the inconsistency, while Jan likes the debug
> where ever possible (gcc). There were a few others who liked the debug
> for gcc by default.
>
> I think if folks are debugging, they probably should turn off
> optimization anyway to make sense of the output, and we are never going
> to ship without optimization. What might be nice would be for
> --enable-debug to turn off optimization as well so people can actually
> make sense of the code in the debugger.
>
> Basically, I don't like the debug because of:
>
> inconsistency with non-gcc
> binary bloat
> binary bloat encourages strip, which is really bad
>
> Usually function names are enough for us to take a guess on the cause.

I think I have a compromise for --enable-debug: How about if
--enable-debug removes optimization, adds -g (or -g3 for macro debugging
symbols in gcc), and maybe even enables casserts. That way,
--enable-debug gives us a super-debuggable binary that we would never
ship by default. Also, I can add a section to the release notes that
discourages people running strip.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us