Re: PostgreSQL Certification

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL Certification
Date: 2003-10-25 02:07:29
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Chris,

> What _would_ be valuable would be for there to be some form of
> "professional development." The valuable (and expensive) form of that
> would be to catch one or another of the "Open Source" conferences with
> a PostgreSQL track, such as the Portland thing last summer.

Well, the valuable thing about the certification is not the certification
itself but the certification *course*. Currently, I get asked questions
about PostgreSQL training and PostgreSQL certifications a *lot*; I just got
back from PHPCon, for example, and 4 people there asked me about professional
training.

So what we need are professional training courses that provide some basic
level of PostgreSQL competency. If we have those training courses, then the
certificate becomes "icing on the cake"; it lets the bean-counters justify
the cost for existing employees, and trainees beef up there resume'.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions