Re: Migration from other database systems to PostgreSQL

From: Jean-Michel POURE <jm(at)poure(dot)com>
To: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>, <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Migration from other database systems to PostgreSQL
Date: 2003-10-24 15:23:21
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Le Vendredi 24 Octobre 2003 17:04, Dave Page a écrit :
> I would like to allow some sort of source and target plugins with a
> mapping/scriptable transformation service in between, perhaps using
> embedded Python or Perl.

I would call it Advanced advance :)

How do you plan to connect to any database? Using which drivers? Is this why
you mention ODBC? But ODBC has its own virtual types. Is it reliable? And
not all Oracle database have ODBC (you must pay for it). Just for
information, can you describe in more details?

A good start might be to be able to read the dumps from Oracle, MySQL, DB2 and
MsSQL. This would be a small revolution for PostgreSQL and would suit 90%
needs of users. When this is achieved, and only then, you would go for more
complex things.

I feel (but I am only an average programmer as you know) that a series of
regexp would suffice.

Cheers, Jean-Michel